Best Ever Cream Of Mushroom Soup
- 1/4 cup Unsalted butter
- 950 g sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 brown onion diced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 6 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 cloves garlic peeled
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup thickened cream
- 1 pinch salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves for garnish or to taste
- Chopped parsley to serve
- Melt butter in a large soup pot over medium-high heat; cook mushrooms in butter with 1 pinch salt until the mushrooms give off their juices; reduce heat to low.
- Continue to cook, stirring often, until juices evaporate and the mushrooms are golden brown, about 15 minutes. Set aside a few mushroom slices for garnish later.
- Mix onion into mushrooms and cook until onion is soft and translucent, about 5 more minutes.
- Stir flour into mushroom mixture and cook, stirring often, for 2 minutes to remove raw flour taste. Tie thyme sprigs into a small bundle with kitchen twine and add to mushroom mixture; add garlic cloves. Pour chicken stock and water into mushroom mixture. Bring to a simmer and cook for 1 hour. Remove thyme bundle.
- Transfer soup to a blender in small batches and puree on high speed until smooth and thick.
- Return soup to pot and stir in cream. Season with salt and black pepper and serve in bowls, garnished with reserved mushroom slices and a few thyme leaves or chopped parsley.